Monday, December 17, 2012

Teacher Christmas Gift: DIY Crayon Wreath

Trying to come up with an original, heartfelt teacher gift can be tough.
Here's a fairly easy, super thoughtful craft that would look great hanging in the classroom.
A Crayon Wreath.



It's colorful and you can add any cute, personalized kid art.

This particular wreath has two wooden embroidery hoops (6 and 10 inch),
two and a half 24 pack crayons, some ribbon, a few wooden shapes and plenty of hot glue.

I made one of these last year for his preschool teacher and gave it as an "end of the year" gift.
I basically used the same technique, with a few minor changes.
This time I tied the ribbon that would be used to hang the wreath to the actual hoop.  Last year I hot glued it.  Ryder colored the wooden heart, added his name and picked out the apple and owl to personalize it.
Definitely lay out all the crayons first to make sure they are straight and you have enough.  I had to dig in to our reserves, as I only bought two boxes.  Luckily I had some unused ones on hand.
And be careful not to touch the tip of the hot glue gun to the crayon wax. I learned the hard way that the color will transfer to anything else it touches.
It came out great and I know she will love it!  
I think rulers and/or pencils would be cute too.  Maybe next time.....

Also, here is what I did this year....Teacher Christmas Gift: Cookies in a Jar
I will happily answer any questions, so feel free to fire away...

Update September 2014:
My sister in law got a new job as a guidance counselor at an elementary school.  What better gift to spruce up her office?!  So I made another.  ;)
 

 
 
They are all over the web now so I got a few tips and added some accessories. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment